Saturday, November 12, 2005

How's Your Competition Barometer?

Competition can be stressful or a blessing depending on how high your “competition barometer” is elevated.

Competition is defined as “the act or process of competing :rivalry: as the effort of two or more parties acting independently to secure the business of a third party by offering the most favorable terms (Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, www.m-w.com/dictionary/competition, November 2005)

I do not believe in competition. What? That’s crazy. Is it? I stand on my own professional business experience, how I treat my clients and associates, my own intelligence and creativity, my recommendations as well as my integrity and character in the business world. My “competition” does not have the same experiences or business setup as I do nor do I have what they offer. Sure, we offer the same product or service but what are you really buying as a consumer when two people have the same identical product to offer? The product, the service, the professional experience or the person who can deliver all of the above. The one you feel most comfortable and safe with your money, associates and clients. It's the total package.

In my opinion, competition will show your barometer and your “fear factor”. A low competition barometer will show fear that my self, as the salesman or business owner, does not have what it takes to be successful in a sea of similar products or services. Fear that I cannot sell my services because they will see I lack self-confidence or I am a fraud. Fear that I cannot be as good as or better than the guy who is in the trade booth next to me... On the flipside, if I have a high competition barometer I welcome my competitors. I want to be involved with their business in a 50,000 foot way. I want to possibly team up with their strengths and mine so we both can benefit. Multiple strengths create more than profit not loss for each party.

Raise your self-confidence, reduce your fear. Learn to love and learn from your competitors. Then recheck your “competition barometer” and see how much business has been attracted to you when your on the high side.

Oh, one more thing…competitors…don’t steal my ideas. That’s another story…and not a competition issue.

Sandra
www.lostandfoundlifecoach.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home